Sunday, March 28, 2010

Looking sideways

When I'm driving in my car, I cannot help but look at other drivers. Once in a very infrequent while, they manage to snap out of their robotic daze and look back at me; but most of the time, they are too deep in process, in thoughtless autopilot, to look anywhere but exactly where they need to. Sometimes, I realize that I haven't been looking at the road for a really long time. Subconsciously, I was taking care of the turns, the pedals and lights of driving, while my conscious mind was busy with the rest of the world, with looking at the other drivers, who never look back. A metaphor for my life. I can't figure out how everybody can seem so damn focused on mere tasks, when there are so many more real things to pay attention to. It's always nice when the mindless journey to a mindless task such as work is, by itself, an opportunity to step outside that autopilot. What most people do to step outside the mindless autopilot of work is merely the autopilot of home, and that won't get you anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment